Purchase Line bids farewell to two|
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
By Jane Elling Staff Writer
COMMODORE - Purchase Line School Board at last night's meeting said goodbye to two individuals, longtime board member Roy Markle of Mahaffey who chose not to run for reelection and Shane Hazenstab, assistant high school principal, effective Dec. 2, who has accepted a position at Conemaugh Valley School District. He worked at Purchase Line three years and four months.
Five board members were elected to the board in the Nov. 7 election but two must make a decision on whether they want a two or four year seat.
Advertisements for two anticipated vacancies will be placed Nov. 16, 17, and 18 and letters of interest are due by Nov. 28.
At the Dec. 5 reorganization meeting that begins at 6 p.m. in the high school boardroom the five winners will be seated and Kevin Smith and Mary Ann Pittman must announce their decision.
Also winning were James Stiffler, James McMullen and Matthew Pearce.
Public interviews will be held for the two seats at the voting work session and appointments will be made following the interviews.
A presentation was given by Jerry Tibbott, president of Tri County Transportation, Bob Koban, operations manager, and Lemmon Dishong, transportation supervisor for Purchase Line.
Tri County has the transportation contract since 2001and it expires June 30 although five years can be added according to the contract.
A motion was made by Markle and a second by Thomas McCracken to "enter into a contract discussion with Tri County with an option to go out for proposals or bids if no agreement can be resolved" but it was not approved by the board.
A presentation was also given by kindergarten teachers Diane Fenton, Susan Lieb, Rebecca Manzek and Andrea Perkovich on the Making a Difference Program and later in the meeting the board unanimously approved adding the MAD Nights in March, April and May. It had originally been cut from the budget.
Phase One of the 2012-2013 preliminary budget was presented by Janice Pearce, Business Manager, and each member of the administration.
A presentation was also given by Wayne Adams, clerk of the works for the South Elementary School Renovation.
In other business, the board approved:
• tenure status for DeAnna Gay.
• Brad Buterbaugh, head boys' basketball coach, holding an elementary boys' basketball program for grades 3-6, at a cost of $567.
• the resolution for the school district, in accordance with Section 677.1 of the Public School code of 1949 as amended, is requesting an interim assessment of real property in all townships and municipalities of the school district in both Indiana and Clearfield counties. Results of this assessment are to be placed on the 2012 tax duplicates for school purposes.
• Contractual Services Agreement with Boys and Girls Clubs of Western Pennsylvania for Supplemental Education Services at Purchase Line High School.
• new high school course offerings for 2012-1013, American History III, principles of algebra I, anatomy and physiology, business law and marketing.
• Purchase Line Sports Boosters using the high school gymnasium for Meet the Dragons Night on Dec. 3 from 6-10 p.m.
• Evergreen Boys and Girls Club using the high school cafeteria for a holiday dinner on Dec. 1 from 3-8:30 p.m.