P-O school board learns of alleged disciplinary incident|
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
By Terry Whetstone Staff Writer
PHILIPSBURG - The Philipsburg-Osceola School Board met Monday night and heard from a number of visitors, but one in particular was asking about an incident that happened two years ago.
Ron Hensal said that two years ago, his grandson was locked in a room all day at Osceola Mills Elementary, by himself, as a way of disciplining him. He said his grandson was not allowed to have his TSS with him at all and he inflicted bodily injury to himself.
Linda Smutz, OME Principal, stood up during the meeting and said that never happened.
Hensal said, "It most certainly did."
He went on to say Smutz was not there that day, she was at a meeting, but she told the secretary what to do.
Board member Mary Ellen Holden asked if he was given food or allowed to use the restroom, to which Hensal said no.
Board member Jim Verbeck then called for an executive session to discuss the situation, which the board granted. They entered the executive session at 8:41 p.m. and returned at 9:11 p.m., stating it was for personnel and legal matters. The board never brought up the situation Hansel mentioned after the executive session.
The board approved several coaching positions including Richard Condo and Tracy Minarchick as assistant varsity wrestling coaches; Cory Wood as junior high head wrestling coach; Jeremy Weller as the junior high assistant wrestling coach; Dave Yoder, Mike Minarchick, TJ Bush, Brad Wood, Vlad Sidorick, Dave Caslow and Jason Rishel as volunteer assistant wrestling coaches; Dennis Arnold as assistant girls basketball coach; Brianna Parks and Bill Myers as volunteer girls basketball coaches; Terry Parks as the girls head junior high basketball coach; Wes Cartwright as the assistant junior high girls basketball coach and Alexis Bacher as a volunteer junior high girls basketball coach.
The board approved cheerleading as a varsity sport, with Verbeck voting no.
In other business, the board:
• approved the band marching in a competition in Williamsburg, Va. May 3-5.
• noted the Pennsylvania Department of Education has received the PlanCon K and approved it.
• hired Loree Jordan as a district wide kitchen helper at 4.5 hours a day, effective Sept. 25.
• added Krista Greenawalt as a substitute teacher certified in grades kindergarten through six.
• approved Terry Parks as the technology liaison at Osceola Mill Elementary schools effective immediately.
• denied a request from Contagious, a boy band wishing to use the auditorium for a concert. The board looked up the band on the Internet and did not appreciate the language people used there and did not want to approve it without more information.