Chester Hill family's home destroyed by fire|
Thursday, November 08, 2012
By Terry Whetstone Staff Writer
CHESTER HILL - The smell of smoke woke Carley Hahn at about 3:30 a.m. today at her home at 1193 Decatur St. She alerted her father, Ron Hahn, a member of Chester Hill Hose Co., who discovered the home was on fire.
Hahn said his firefighter instincts kicked in, and he was able to get his family and pets safely out of the home and call 911.
The family of four includes Ron and Carol Hahn and their daughters, Carley and Chelsea. Ron Hahn said they have a son who is away at college now, but when he's not at school he lives with the family.
The fire originated in the area of the furnace; however, Ryan Haggans, chief of Chester Hill Hose Co., said he's not sure if it was a furnace malfunction, electrical or something else that caused the blaze. He has a state police fire marshal responding to the scene.
Ron Hahn said he checked the fire at 11:30 p.m. before going to bed and it was fine, then his daughter alerted of the smoke, so he's not sure what happened.
The home and its contents are a total loss.
Haggans said when he arrived on scene he had a working fire and the home was well involved by the time the first fire equipment arrived on scene.
It was a double planked home, with a double roof on the more than 100-year-old home.
"We had a good attack," Haggans said. "But due to the construction of the home it took us a while to get it under control."
Other than that, Haggans said there were no major issues fighting the fire, except for some ice forming on the roads.
Hahn said the home is insured and he and his family will be staying with relatives for the time being.
Haggans said he notified the American Red Cross, but at 7 a.m. he still had not heard from it, so he said he couldn't give it credit for assisting at the scene.
Haggans said about 60 firefighters battled the blaze for more than three hours. Fire companies responding include Chester Hill Hose Co., Hope and Reliance fire companies of Philipsburg, Morris Township Fire Co. of Morrisdale, Columbia Fire Co. of Osceola Mills, Houtzdale and Madera fire companies. Moshannon Valley Emergency Medical Services was also on scene.
There were no reported injuries.
Ron Hahn was able to provide the following clothing sizes for him and his family:
Carley: size 2 women's pants, small shirts and size 8 shoes; Chelsea: size 8 women's pants, medium shirts and size 9 shoes; Carol: size 6 women's pants, medium shirts and size 8 shoes; Ron: size 40 men's pants, XXL shirts and size 11 shoes. Any items can be left at the Chester Hill fire station.