Mo Valley OKs agenda items|
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
By Annie Lynn Staff Writer
HOUTZDALE - At the regular meeting of the Moshannon Valley School Board Monday, District Superintendent Tonya DeVecchis-Kerr spoke regarding a school board workshop retreat offered by the Pennsylvania School Board Association. The session would be held at the school and would be of benefit for the board members. The board members agreed it would be something they would be interested in attending. DeVecchis-Kerr will make arrangements for the workshop.
A former school board member gave board president Rod Kitko booklets of the 1964 dedication of the newly constructed Moshannon Valley School. Each board member received a booklet.
The commemorative booklet led to a discussion about a 50th anniversary celebration. Board member Albert Adams suggested forming a committee to look into ideas for the celebration.
It was noted that the make-up days for days missed due to Hurricane Sandy on Oct. 29-30 will be Feb. 14 and April 2, pursuant to the board approved 2012-13 calendar. Also, a motion carried to schedule the board reorganization meeting for Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. The reorganization meeting must be held during the first week of Dec.
A motion carried to retroactively approve the alumni football game between Moshannon Valley and Curwensville, which was sponsored by Alumni Football USA.
Motions also were passed to approve a request from Amy Shetrom and Jean Nevling, advisors, to take the National Honor students to the West Point Military Academy in March; a request from Amanda Harpster, advisor, to take the elementary reading team to Bald Eagle Area High School to compete in March; and to accept a quote from CDWG for $40,177.02 for technology network switches.
The board approved the following:
• a request from Vickie Frankovich, part time cafeteria employee, for time off without pay beginning Monday; Lisa Magill, Special Education teacher, to provide extended school year services for one eligible student for two hours per week for the remainder of the school year; extend an offer of employment to Sherry Dixon as classroom assistant; addition of Melinda Beers, Danelle Berg, Dorothy Clona, James Cowfer III, Theresa Dombrosky, Amy Gallaher, Alysia Hughes, Eugene Kephart, Leon O'Donnell, Melisa Pedmo, Cynthia Pristash, Lindsey Robison, Beth Sherkel, Jeff Sherkel, Marie Sherkel, and David Stodart to the 2012-13 volunteer list.
The following extra-curricular motions also carried:
• retroactive approval to appoint Kim Caldwell as Junior High Cheerleading Advisor; appoint Brandie Kephart as eighth grade class advisor; extend an offer of employment to Cayenne Lantz as clock operator for junior varsity/varsity boys basketball and wrestling; accept the resignation of Carl Yaple as head coach varsity girls' soccer; accept the resignation of Kenise Buck as assistant coach volleyball; accept the resignation of Zach Dimond and Joshua Penn as members of the varsity football chain gang crew; the 2012-13 varsity and junior high wrestling schedules; to advertise for head coach varsity girls' soccer, assistant coach volleyball and two positions on the varsity chain gang crew for the upcoming football season; to open the assistant girls' soccer coach position, with Nathan Dotts, Robert Reed, Stacey Williams, Larry Saupp, Albert Adams and Ruth Saupp casting affirmative votes and Kris Bacher, Rod Kitko and Cassandra Kitko voting no; to advertise for assistant girls' varsity coach, with Dotts, Reed, Williams, Adams and Ruth Saupp voting yes and Bacher, Rod Kitko, Larry Saupp and Cassandra Kitko voting no.
• the purchase of singlets for the junior high wrestling team, which are being paid for by a private donation, and the purchase of singlets for the varsity wrestling team, also being purchased by a private donation. The singlets will become the property of Moshannon Valley School District. The board expressed appreciation to the donor for the singlets.
• the purchase of uniforms for the varsity girls' softball team, which are being paid for by a private donation by Carrizo Oil and Gas, Inc. The uniforms will become the property of MVSD.
• the board approved an agreement between Clearfield-Jefferson Drug and Alcohol Commissions and Community Connections of Clearfield/Jefferson Counties and Moshannon Valley School District pertaining to the student assistance program.
In addition they approved the 2013-14 district budget/bid timeline; a resolution not to increase taxes to support the school district for the 2013-14 school year by more than 2.5 percent; final payment to Marc-Services, Inc. for replacement dust collector in the amount of $60,826,50 from the capital reserve fund; update the district cell phone plan; an agreement with Keystone Collections Group to collect district delinquent Per Capita and EIT taxes beginning Jan. 1, 2013 at no cost to the district.