The Progressive Publishing Company
Our 102nd Year Serving Clearfield, Curwensville, Philipsburg, and Moshannon Valley, PA

The Progress Home >> Saturday, February 9, 2013 - Men accused of breaking into auto dealership waive hearings

  News Department
  Sports Department
  Classified Advertising
  Legal Advertising
  Display (Retail) Advertising
  Circulation Department
  Death Notices

Forms and Submissions
  Submission Forms

More than just news...
  Looking for information?

Site Tools

Other Links
  News Related Links
  Business Related Links

Search Site


Johnson Motors - 877-816-0659
Men accused of breaking into auto dealership waive hearings
Saturday, February 9, 2013
By Jeff Corcino Staff Writer
Two men accused of breaking into Royers 219 Auto Sales in Sandy Township waived their right to a preliminary hearing yesterday before Magisterial District Judge Patrick Ford.
David J. Allen, 26, of Grampian and David M. Schurr, 28, of DuBois are each charged with burglary, criminal trespass, conspiracy-burglary, theft by unlawful taking, criminal mischief, receiving stolen property.
According to the affidavit of probable cause, on Jan. 28 at 9 a.m. police responded to Royers Auto Sales for a reported burglary. According to police, the perpetrators broke a window to gain entry. Once inside, they removed more than 100 inspection stickers, pried open two safes and removed $2,200 in cash. They also removed two computer towers, worth approximately $3,000. The inspection stickers were worth $4,360. Total value stolen was $9,740.
The perpetrators also removed several security cameras from their wall mounts and disconnected the wiring harness. Cost of the damaged property is estimated at $5,865.
Video surveillance showed two men entering the business at 12:30 a.m. The men were wearing hooded sweatshirts and used a crowbar to pry open the safes. The video also shows a dark-colored Dodge Intrepid being driven away from the scene following the burglary.
On Jan. 29 at noon, Royers received a call from a man who said he was the one who broke into the business. He said he didn't want to go back to jail and would return some of the items, namely the computer towers and inspection stickers. He said he would call back with more details. Employees stated the name on the caller ID came up as "private."
The man called back two more times and said he would leave the items along the road near Agway on U.S. Route 219. Royers employees went to the area and found the inspection stickers.
On Jan. 29, Robert Bush II, an acquaintance of Allen, informed police that he believed Allen and Schurr had committed the burglary. He said Allen tried to sell him the stolen inspection stickers for $20 a piece.
Bush said he then saw footage of the surveillance video and recognized them as being Allen and Schurr. He said he called Allen and asked him about it and he said Allen admitted that it was he in the video. While speaking with police, Bush received a text message from Allen stating he was at a location near DuBois Regional Medical Center West. Police responded to the location and arrested Allen.
When interviewed by police, Allen initially denied involvement but eventually confessed. He said they broke into the building using a bar. He admitted to opening the safes and said they removed the computers in an attempt to get the surveillance video.
After finding out that he was on the video, Allen said he called Royers the next day offering to return the items because he didn't want to go to jail.
Allen refused to tell police the identity of the other person in the video but did tell them that they had placed the computers in a Dumpster in Falls Creek, which were recovered.
On Jan. 30, police received a call from Schurr's mother. Police said she was crying and told them that she believed her son was one of the people in the video. She also said her son was driving her dark-colored Dodge Intrepid the night of the burglary.
Both men are incarcerated in Clearfield County Jail in lieu of $25,000 straight bail.
In other cases, a DuBois man accused of assaulting a woman and leading police on a high-speed chase through DuBois waived his right to a preliminary hearing before Ford.
Joseph L. Kolar, 24, of DuBois is charged with aggravated assault, recklessly endangering, resisting arrest, loitering and prowling at night, disorderly conduct, simple assault, harassment, DUI, fleeing or attempting to elude, reckless driving, turning movements and required signals, driving wrong way, period for requiring lighted lamps, driving at a safe speed.
According to the affidavit of probable cause, on Dec. 30 at 2:37 a.m. Officer Randall Young of the DuBois City police observed someone spinning the tires on a vehicle and accelerate at a high rate of speed while pulling out of the Sheetz parking lot on Brady Street. The vehicle also did not have its headlights on. The vehicle turned right onto Rose Alley, did not stop at the East Scribner Avenue intersection, and continued onto Rose Alley, the wrong way on the one-way street.
Young activated his emergency lights in attempt to pull over the vehicle, but it didn't stop. Young then turned on the siren and the vehicle pulled over on East Long Avenue. Young said he approached the vehicle from the passenger side and the male driver was identified as Kolar. As he was talking to him, Young said he could smell the strong odor of alcohol and saw he had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.
Young also noticed Kolar had fresh blood on his right knuckles and several scratches on his neck and behind his right ear that were still bleeding. He asked what happened and Kolar responded that his pit bull had scratched him.
At this point, Officer Michael Davidson was at the driver's side window. Young continued to speak with Kolar and noticed that he seemed to be getting very nervous.
Kolar was ordered to exit the vehicle and Davidson reached for the driver's side door but Kolar accelerated the vehicle, spinning the tires. As he sped away, the passenger side mirror struck Young, shoving him into a snow bank. Kolar then turned his vehicle towards Davidson and almost struck him but Davidson was able to move out of the way.
Kolar then accelerated from the scene in a reckless manner, spinning the tires and driving fast. He traveled east on East Long Avenue, made a left onto North Stockdale Street without signaling. He then jumped out of the vehicle while it was still moving and fled on foot. The vehicle crossed the opposite lane of traffic and struck a snow bank.
Young radioed county control of the situation and Sandy Township police were dispatched to assist. Young and Davidson approached the vehicle and noticed it was still running with no one inside. They removed the keys and secured the vehicle.
There was fresh snow on the ground and Young followed Kolar's prints up East Fir Alley. Kolar circled two houses and ran up the steps and through the gate at a residence at 47 E. Long Ave., ran back down the steps onto the sidewalk and fled west. He continued to flee through downtown DuBois and eventually attempted to hide behind Luigi's Ristorante. However, Young saw him behind Luigi's and he and officer Greg Gornati of the Sandy Township Police Department pursued him on foot.
Young said he yelled several times at Kolar to stop but he refused. He continued to flee on several streets, making several turns before falling in the snow on East Scribner Avenue.
Kolar got up and continued to flee but police were able to catch him and bring him to the ground. Kolar continued to struggle with police and refused to be handcuffed. He was swinging his arms, kicking and yelling, according to Young. After a short struggle Young, Gornati and Officer Erik Rupp of the Sandy Township Police Department were able to get him under control and handcuff him.
Kolar was placed in the back of a patrol car, where he agreed to have a preliminary breath test, which showed the presence of alcohol.
Kolar told police he fled because he was on probation and wasn't going back to jail.
Kolar was transported to DRMC West to have blood drawn to determine his blood alcohol content. Kolar was taken into the hospital with his hands handcuffed behind his back. He was seated on a chair and officers read him the implied consent law. But, Kolar began making rude comments and acted like he wanted to fight them.
When hospital staff arrived to draw his blood Kolar became aggressive made threats toward them and said he wasn't going back to jail.
He then stood up and lunged toward Young and Davidson. Police placed him against the wall and after a short struggle police removed him from the hospital and placed him in the back of a patrol car because of his aggressive behavior.
Kolar was then taken to CCJ and incarcerated on a probation detainer.
Young then responded to a DuBois residence to speak with a female. Young said the woman had several bruises on her face; her lips were swollen and still bleeding, she had a scratch on the front of her neck, a cut on her left cheek and her right eye was swollen and turning black and blue. All the injuries appeared to have occurred recently. She also had blood on her shirt and pants.
The female said she was riding with Kolar when they got into an argument and he became angry. She said while he was still driving she said Kolar punched her in the face several times. The woman said she punched him back, but he continued to punch her so she covered up her face.
He then pulled into the Sheetz parking lot and went into the store.
The woman said she then exited the vehicle and asked a friend to come and get her.
Kolar continues to be incarcerated in CCJ on the probation violation. Bail was set in this case at $5,000 straight.
Dotts Motor Company - 814-765-9681